The Italian American Theatre of Chicago, like many theaters, will be dark for the foreseeable future until we can safely gather to resume our live performances. In the interim, IATC will be offering SCRIPT CRIT for playwrights working on plays with Italian American themes and subject matter.
SCRIPT CRIT will bring a fresh set of eyes and professional experience to playwrights who want to take their script to the next level. Playwrights will receive a written critique from at least two readers from the worlds of theatre, comedy, music, academia and journalism, including judges from IATC’s First Playwriting Competition. Writing a play is often a solitary effort, but making it the best it can be requires a lively exchange of opinions and ideas. SCRIPT CRIT offers writers an artistic support team in which both playwright and play will grow and flourish.
To take part in SCRIPT CRIT, playwrights must:
- Submit a full-length play on an Italian American subject or theme. (Works about Italian history and historical figures may also be eligible.)
- The playwright must submit an electronic version of the work to: email@example.com, Subject Line: SCRIPT CRIT + Author’s name.
- The playwright must submit an author’s bio and a short (1-2 paragraphs) synopsis of the play.
- Playwrights must submit a $25 submission fee by check to: IATC, mailed to: Italian American Theatre of Chicago, 528 N. Ridgeland, Oak Park, IL 60302. Scripts and fees received will be acknowledged by email.
- Submissions will be accepted beginning September 8, 2020, and will continue to be accepted until further notice. One submission per playwright, please.
- Teleconferencing will be available for writers who want a live connection and may be arranged individually at the writers’ and readers’ agreement.
- Participation in SCRIPT CRIT will not influence the writer’s standing regarding subsequent submissions to the IATC or future contests.
- Submitting playwrights are encouraged to explore the IATC website at https://italianamericantheatreofchicago.com.